Howell 203 Active Learning Classroom
Funded by the Center for Instructional Innovation and the College of Education, CII installed a new active learning classroom in Howell 203. Our goal was to create an environment so the instructor is not tied to a teaching station. The students will each have a display that they will be able to use locally with their laptops, tablets, or phones. The professor will also have the ability to send images to all of these displays. Additionally, the professor will have the ability take the image from any table and send that image to all tables and the main display. A single collaboration camera will be added to USB into the dedicated PC for web-based conferencing. Our plans are to pilot this room, make adjustments as necessary, and to rollout more active learning classrooms as funding permits. We also wanted to use this space as proof-of-concept for future construction projects.
The room is easy to use, but we will ask faculty scheduled in Howell 203 to get training first.
The installation includes:
- Smartboard with a 3200 lumen ultra short throw projector
- 5 Spectrum Invision Element tables with 5 40" LED tvs (has two "smart" HDMI inputs and adapters for iPads, mini-HDMI, Thunderbolt)
- Extron Sharelink 200 Wireless Collaboration Gateway (enables anyone to present content from a laptop, smartphone, or tablet on the main display or any of the 5 collaboration tables)
- Crestron 8x8 Digital Media Switcher (for switches which content goes to what output device)
- Crestron 3-Series Control System (makes the entire room "talk" to each other)
- TesiraFORTE Digital Signal Processor with 12 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs, 8 channels configurable USB audio
- Ceiling-mounted HDMI PT Camera (for Zoom sessions)
- Shure Vocal System with wireless receiver
- WolfVision VZ-3 Document Camera
- Optiplex 9020 computer
- Middle Atlantic L5 Lectern
Below is a drawing of the Howell 203.
The room can be controlled from iPad Crestron app or an interface on the instructor's computer.